Poorly managed programs of work will have to withstand the risk of time and budgetary pressures.
Right now, many enterprise IT organisations are tackling large, complex IT re-engineering efforts that combine the delivery of software elements, new and changed business models, and overall changes to organisational structure and capabilities. Typically these efforts involve several parallel projects.
Managers are finding that “traditional” project management approaches fall short for such undertakings. Consequently, many IT professionals are turning to the experience that comes and gaining great support with Project Management in the recognition that there are likely to be multiple simultaneous projects all attempting to align and support the company’s overriding mission.
Principles, Strategies and Results
This discipline describes principles, strategies, and desirable results for managing large-scale efforts comprising parallel projects.
Project Management deals with the management of 5 key aspects frequently found in complex programs of work.
Defining roles and responsibilities, and providing oversight
Planning and administering both projects and the overall program
Implementation of specific fiscal practices and controls
The program office, technology, and other factors in the work environment supporting the program effort
Activities that take place at multiple levels, with different goals. The program plan is not a traditional plan
Our Project Managers get involved in your project across these aspects. Their objective is to bring the program to a successful completion and they do this by:
- Developing and carrying out a detailed project management plan; securing signoffs with program sponsors.
- Setting up implementation mechanisms to ensure that defined process is followed by the program team while executing various activities
- Identifying relationship needs, exploring relationship opportunities and formulating action plans.
- Coordinating with track owners, seeking inputs, compiling & constructing scope document including hard & soft commitments.
- Securing sign off from all the relevant stakeholders.
- Conducting scope reviews on periodic basis to ensure delivery is as per plan.
- Drawing a master schedule; coordinating and conducting meetings with individual track owners to detail out the stated milestones.
- Conducting periodic reviews, capturing deviations & escalating exceptional deviations.
- Analysing the program charter, business case, and proposal. Collating and documenting the expected benefits for the program.
- Identifying, analysing and documenting cross project dependencies.
- Preparing, scheduling, conducting & facilitating meetings, preparing artefacts and various activities as per the communication plan in order to help meet program goals and schedule integrity.
- Receiving change requests, facilitating impact analysis, scheduling change control meetings, tracking the change request.
- Seeking inputs as required (for complex risks: medium to high exposure risks) and proposing a risk mitigation plan.
- Identifying key stakeholders and defining the disposition of each of the stakeholders to the program.
- Identifying the contract parameters that have material impact to program deliverables.
- Identifying key partners both within and outside of contracts who have material impact to the program.
- Enabling ongoing competency development of the team.
- Implementing coaching and mentoring frameworks within the program and personally spending adequate time on coaching and mentoring the next level of employees.
- Communicating and ensuring adherence to organisation policies and processes.
Semantia’s independent Project Managers are amongst the most experienced in their field. Typically they have a depth of more than 20 years of complex IT and Project Management practice under their belt.
When you partner with Semantia as your Project Management Partner, we conduct a preliminary assessment of your program. One of the outputs from this assessment is agreement on the current state of the program and the specific ongoing actions required to keep it on track.
Project Management roles are typically most valuable for major projects involving IT and multiple other departments and business units.
Project Management services from Semantia would likely be most suitable if your project has an IT budget of more than $1,000,000 and IT is a substantial component of the entire project budget.
It’s not really important whether you choose to use our Project Management Services or choose the services of an alternative Project Manager.
What is really important is that you’ve already experienced the difference between a program that never sees the light of day and a program that has been successfully launched and in flight. And you recognise that this comes down to the overseeing activities and management guidance given by the Project Manager.